Monday, September 20, 2010

August: Osage County

 


Yesterday I saw Steppenwolf Theatre's extraordinary production of "August: Osage County" at Sydney Theatre Company. I was left speechless. What an outstanding cast! What an outstanding play! Written by Tracy Letts, it was said to be in the tradition of Eugene O’Neill, Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller, so I knew right away that I was going to like it but.... wow! Each performance was mind blowing and the set... just look at it...
 
  

This photo just doesn't do it justice. Every time I sat down (there were 2 intermissions as it's 3 hours & 15 minutes long) I was mesmerised by this three story Southern country house and every little piece of furniture or prop within it. The sound was perfect too, so chilling in parts. 

For such a dark play, it was so funny at the same time that I simply did not notice how long the production was and I didn't want it to end. I cried, I laughed. The performances were so amazing that I felt so invested in many of the characters. It's very easy to see why this is a Pulitzer Prize-winning play. 

If you live in Sydney or anywhere that this production is coming to, I suggest you go see it. Highly recommended. If I'm ever in Chicago, I'll definitely be heading to the Steppenwolf Theatre to see some brilliant theatre.

~ Clare x

Photo credits: 

2 comments:

  1. Oh it's really nice to read your enthusiastic lines about this performance...and I love the photo, so I can just imagine how good it was in real...:-)

    Happy Monday.

    Cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That set is phenomenal! My husband and I spent a month in Sydney a couple years ago - I wish this play would have been playing then!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing on Soulful Mama ~ Clare x